March 24, 2014

We are not pro-Gülen movement but what the heck is this, bro?

Ahmet Hakan, Hürriyet

I am not an enthusiast of the International Turkish Olympiad [which is organized by an association affiliated with the Hizmet movement].

I did not choke on tears of national pride like Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç did when an African kid sang the Turkish ballad “Gesi Bağları." I did not compliment participants of the Turkish Olympiad by saying, “You are like young trees in a steppe, like an oasis in the desert,” as Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan did. I did not get carried away with the idea of minting special coins to honor the Turkish Olympiads like the Turkish Republic did. I stand at a distance to this event. And I have certain reasons for this. But, my brothers and my sisters, what does it mean when the prime minister says: “No conference halls or stadiums will be provided for you [the Gülen movement]. You won't be able to conduct this event anymore." Excuse me, but is this a state of law or Erdoğan's farm?

Published on Sunday's Zaman, 23 March 2014, Sunday