A spokesman told DW that all of the 15 open investigations were against unknown perpetrators, as most of the calls to boycott alleged Gülenists were made anonymously over social media or mobile chat apps.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has vociferously accused Gülen, who lives in the United States, of orchestrating the unsuccessful putsch that left more than 300 people dead on July 15.
Erdogan's words have echoed abroad, notably in Germany, where loyalists to the president have shared lists of businesses they say should be avoided. Earlier this month, a German newspaper reported that some shops and people had even been singled out during sermons at mosques.
The anti-Gülenist sentiment has at times escalated into physical violence. A youth center in the western city of Gelsenkirchen was vandalized and at least one person was accosted by a mob outside.
The police spokesman in Stuttgart, Jens Lauer, said investigators were reviewing who initiated the boycott lists as well as who forwarded them to other people. It is unclear whether disseminating the lists, in addition to starting them, would also be considered a hate crime.
Published on Deutsche Welle, 31 August 2016, Wednesday
- Turks Seen as Sympathetic to US-Based Muslim Cleric Say They Face Threats
- Gulen Followers Living in Europe Receive Death Threats, Feel Intimidated
- Tensions rise in Germany's Turkish diaspora, mirroring splits in Turkey
- Gülen followers banned from mosque in Germany
- Turkey's crackdown threatens German stability, Gulen followers fear
- Berlin mayor accuses Turkey of waging war on Gulen supporters in Germany
- Erdogan's purges reach heart of Europe as Gulenists in Germany say they are being spied on
- Larger than Stasi: Turkey has ‘6,000 agents in Germany’ to oppress Gulenists – reports
- More posts on Germany