More than 3,000 people have applied to the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), complaining about rights violations they faced during the probes into the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ) and their detention conditions during the state of emergency declared after the bloody July 15 failed coup attempt, the CHP has said.
A total of 178 academics, 756 soldiers, 149 health workers, 20 lawyers, eight journalists, 210 judges, 725 teachers, 210 police officers and 108 prosecutors applied to the CHP, daily Cumhuriyet reported.
The report prepared under the leadership of CHP deputy chair Bülent Tezcan with the application of a total of 3,304 people stated allegations of torture during detentions weren’t investigated and people were falsely accused of being FETÖ members over personal conflicts.
In addition, people were threatened with job termination over being Gülenists in the private sector, according to the report.
The report stated that people who had worked previously in FETÖ-linked institutions couldn’t find jobs, despite the fact that they had no connection to the movement of U.S.-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen, who is believed to have orchestrated the failed seizure of power.
Police officers, judges and prosecutors felt obliged to take action and arrest people they were notified of as being Gülenists, the CHP also said.
The report also said that regulations exceeding the duration of the state of emergency could not be made with state of emergency decrees.
Published on Hurriyet Daily News, 8 September 2016, Thursday