In a statement, Nurullah Albayrak said the Star, Akşam and Güneş dailies had unjustly published a slanderous article titled “Assassination order for Sümeyye” on Friday, attributing this order to Gülen. "Those who slander are obligated to prove their slander," he said.
"To be in power, to own newspapers and have unlimited access to public resources does not and should not give anyone the right to act in such a base manner," Albayrak said. "We want the public to know that we feel ashamed to be forced to make such a statement about these despicable lies."
The anonymous report in the three dailies claimed that the plan to assassinate Sümeyye Erdoğan was discovered through the exposure of private messages allegedly between the user of the Fuat Avni Twitter account -- an unidentified whistleblower the dailies claim is journalist Emre Uslu -- and a lawmaker from the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP), Umut Oran. Uslu denies he is the one behind the Avni Twitter account.
Albayrak said some media organizations have begun publishing “unbelievable scenarios” recently and that they continue to fabricate new lies even though they are constantly denied by everyone involved.
The Ankara Public Prosecutor's Office immediately launched an investigation into the claims of the planned assassination, to be conducted by the bureau in charge of investigating "crimes against the constitutional order."
"This nation has never seen unlawfulness, immorality and lies at such a level," Albayrak said, accusing those who fabricate such a claim of having "no sense of law, piety, morality or conscience."
Published on Today's Zaman, 20 February 2015, Friday
- Pro-gov’t daily ordered to pay compensation over ‘fabricated’ story on Erdoğan’s daughter
- Prosecutor’s office fails to find evidence of alleged Sümeyye murder plot
- Report: Pro-gov’t dailies charged with slander in Erdoğan daughter ‘assassination’ claim
- Sacrificing Sümeyye Erdoğan
- CHP’s Oran debunks alleged plot to kill Erdoğan’s daughter via Twitter documents
- AKP’s situation is so bad that it needs medical treatment
- Erdoğan, his allies plot against CHP, Gülen to score political gains
- What is behind conspiracy targeting CHP and Gülen?
- Kingdom of lies