March 16, 2012

What does Ertuğrul Özkök want?

Nagehan Alçı

Although they were late in doing so, prosecutors have released journalists Nedim Şener and Ahmet Şık.

I was against the decision to jail them and said so many times in my previous articles. However, after getting out of jail, Şık openly said, “The police officers, prosecutors and judges that set up this plot against me will some day be put in jail; I swear to you it will happen.” I know that many people who are unhappy with the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and the Hizmet (Gülen) movement share Şık’s wish. As a matter of fact, journalist Ertuğrul Özkök proved this in one of his latest articles. “Şık’s statements were what I have been dreaming of. You may see Şık’s words in an indictment in the near future,” he said. Isn’t this an obvious example of revanchism? If I were to interpret all this, I would say Özkök and Şık as well as many others are worried that the investigation into the Ergenekon terrorist organization will reveal their true colors, and when they say “prosecutors,” they mean prosecutors who are overseeing the Ergenekon case.

Published [in Turkish] on Aksam Daily, 15 March 2012, Thursday
English version retrieved from Today's Zaman, 15 March 2012, Thursday